Shelby County Schools’ Chief of Communications Jerica Phillips tells ‘Wake Up Memphis’ with Robyn Walensky today is an “unprecedented” first day of “virtual” learning because of the coronavirus pandemic.The largest school district in the state is aiming to distribute “more than 95,000″ laptops, Phillips tells ‘Wake Up Memphis.’
“85 percent of the devices have been picked up, but the other 15 percent have not,” Phillips tells Walensky.
Parents have until Sept. 3. Lines were long on Sunday as on Friday pickup was canceled due to the inclement weather caused by Hurricane Laura.“We are hoping to get every student a device in their hands today,” Phillips says.
With many new obstacles in virtual learning, the school district is preparing for a tsunami of troubleshooting calls.
“We have a situation room and have teams of people and department heads who will be there to provide support and answer questions throughout the school day,” Phillips explains.For help in connecting for virtual learning, you can reach out to Shelby County Schools at 901-416-5300.